The City Council of Genoa has worked for years towards the establishment of the Catering Guidelines which give the possibility to implement shared procedures for the provision of medical diets, ensuring the safety of students attending school canteens.
The usefulness and effectiveness of such a tool is measured in the daily-life of schools.
The Technical-Scientific Committee for Food & Beverage was established.
Genoa City Council adopted OPERATIVE INSTRUCTIONS for preparation and distribution of diets to ensure the hygienic and health safety of the diet of these subjects (Guidelines for Dispensing Special Diets).
In 2007 the project of a “Memorandum of Understanding” was established, aimed at the health of the children with severe life-threatening allergies (anaphylaxis risk), which must be protected not only in moments of enjoyment of the meal but for the entire period of his school day. With the drafting of the Guidelines for Lifesaving Drugs Administration, it has also be evidenced how the administration of autoinjectable adrenaline must be ensured.
The anaphylaxis project is included, along with other projects of the City Council of Genoa, in the European circuit “HEALTHY CITIES”
The Catering Service of the City Council of Genoa in 1996/97 drew up the first gluten-free diet, anticipating the 123/2005 law which establishes the obligation for cafeterias of public school facilities and hospitals to provide safe gluten-free meals on request of the interested. The City Council of Genoa, well aware that the risk of gluten contamination in the celiac diet is always possible, adopted OPERATIVE INSTRUCTIONS for the preparation and distribution of diets to ensure the hygienic and health safety of celiac diets.
At the restaurant:
On November the 22nd 2011 the EU regulation 1169/2011/EU, thus reforming consumer information in the food industry.
The main new features:
The new regulations change all previous European directives, and at the same time also national laws, including the Legislative Decree 109/92, as amended, which is the basis of the general legislation on food labelling. Objective of the Regulation, in force as of December the 13th 2014, is to harmonize all rules of the EU countries on three key points:
- presentation and advertising of food,
- correct indication of nutrients and their caloric intake,
- information about the presence of ingredients that can cause allergies.
The intent is to strengthen the preservation and protection of consumers’ health by providing more information on food.
One of the most significant changes in force as of December the 13th 2014 is that in addition to the obligation, already foreseen in the latest revision of the Legislative Decree 109/92, to indicate allergens both on pre-packaged products and on those sold in bulk, it is also introduced the obligation to indicate them also in food ADMINISTERED IN RESTAURANTS, IN CANTEENS, IN BARS and BARS WITH ATTACHED RESTAURANT SERVICE.
List of mandatory particulars:
- The denomination of the food product
- The list of ingredients
- Any ingredient or processing aid that causes allergies or intolerances used in the manufacture or preparation of food and still present in the finished product even if in an altered form
- The amount of certain ingredients or categories of ingredients
- The net quantity of the food product
- The date of minimum durability or the expiration date
- Any special storage conditions and/or conditions of employment
- The name or business name and address of the food industry
- The country of origin or place of provenance
- Instructions for use, for cases in which their omission would make it difficult to use food properly
- For beverages containing more than 1.2% alcohol volume, the title of alcohol concentration actual volume
- A nutritional declaration
- Istruzione per gli operatori (PDF 61 kb)
- Brochure alberghiero
- Elenco ristoranti genova gourmet
- Cartello allergeni (PDF 354 kb)
- Brochure Gaia (PDF 2377 kb)
- Brochure ristoCLOUD (PDF 883 kb)
If you want to eat safely at home we suggest you to consult our “Eating well Coop” booklet attached hereby, in which you will find excellent recipes without risking!!
Please see our booklet: